Wellington-WEF.com Message Board
September 02, 2014, 08:02:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thank you for visiting the message board!  We are excited to be the community meeting place for Wellington, WEF and all Equestrians who use our site.  Please be sure to visit our Business, Boarding & Trainers, Horses for Sale, and Real Estate/Lodging Directories as well. Type Wellington-WEF.com into your browser if you do not see a "wood" navigation bar at the top of this message board.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: College Bound Invitational Horse Show  (Read 6941 times)
mouse2713

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:59:25 PM »

Hi everyone,

This is just a note to let you all know that the next College Bound Invitational Horse Show will be held on July 31 and August 1. If you are interestd in attending, please email me at dennaj2713@aol.com and send me your mailing address. I will be happy to forward an entry/information packet to you.

We invite college and university coaches from IHSA and NCAA programs all over the country to attend and choose from middle school and high school riders from all 50 states, Canada and Europe. All levels of rider are welcome to attend.

Classes are offered for hunter seat equitation over fences, hunter seat equitation on the flat, dressage equitation on the flat, and western equitation.

Please feel free to email me if you have any additional questions on our program!

I hope to see you all this summer!
SpotLightEquestrian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »

I'd love more information on this program...I have absolutely no idea what it is.
I have two students who are college bound in the Fall.  Both going for horse careers.  Would this be something that would benefit them?
Can you send me more information?

SpotLightEques@aol.com
mfallshookup

prestley and me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »

I went to this a few years ago
If you have the opportunity, you should definitely go!
It was a great experience and I had a ton of fun. Everyone was very friendly and helpful in answering all my questions about riding on a team in college.
-Kristie
SaddlebredShowMom

Blue Ribbon Ride!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »

Classes are offered for hunter seat equitation over fences, hunter seat equitation on the flat, dressage equitation on the flat, and western equitation.

No saddle seat??  Sad

"To ride on a horse is to fly without wings."
mouse2713

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »

Sorry, we dont have saddle seat, but several of the colleges that offer saddle seat programs do come to the show to look at the riders. William Woods is one of the saddle seat schools that attends on a regular basis. The main reason that we dont have saddle seat is because we lack the horses to use for the show. This is a draw show and the riders just come with their riding clothes. The first couple of years it was a REAL challenge to get dressage and western horses, but now we have the horses and also the tack. For the first five years the dressage riders had to ride in hunter tack. We are primarily a hunter stable, so we have plenty of tack and horses for that side of the sport, but the other events are harder. Thankfully, one of our sister stables where I do clinics in Georgia donates dressage horses and tack for us to use, and a local lady with some really nice western horses lends them to us for the two days of the show. Please contact me through email if you need the paperwork for the show, or you can check out our website in about two weeks and download whatever you need. Also, feel free to email me with any questions.
Admin 1
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »

Remember top mark your calendars for the Collegiate Invitational being held at WEF this year.   Feb. 26th, a Friday night at 7:00.  There will be 16 of the country's best NCAA collegiate riders competing in a head to head NCAA format.  It will be a great chance for you to see what it could be like for you to ride in while in college and a opportunity to talk to the riders about their experiences as a student athlete. 
Spread the word and we will see you there.

Jill Townsend
Wellington-WEF.com, LLC
mouse2713

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »

For those of you interested in riding in college, it is a good idea to attend as many events as possible that have ANYTHING to do with collegiate riding, so you can get an idea of what it would be like to ride in college. You should also look up the IHSA (intercollegiate horse show assn) rules and the NCAA rules for equestrian.

That said, please remember that when you go to college, you are going to SCHOOL, not going to ride. If you can ride while you are there, it is a bonus, but the school that you choose is the most important.

I am happy to answer questions for interested students, to the best of my ability. Feel free to email me if you have questions, even if you arent planning on attending the college bound show. I will help you if I can. Good luck with where ever each of you chooses to go to school.

Please remember that if you plan to attend NCAA schools and ride with their team, you CANNOT be recruited until after July 1, after your junior year is completed. Your coach or trainer can email the coach, and so can your parent, but the coach cannot answer you back until after your junior year in high school is complete. IHSA schools may recruit at any time. Hope this helps.
dolly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »

hello! i have a daughter that is a freshman in high school. would this benifit her to come out? do they ride or is it just watching others ride. is there a class list? thanks;)
Admin 1
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »

I think any and all exposure you can have for your child to dream of riding at the college level is a good thing.  Certainly helps to keep their goals inspired and makes all of the long days taking care of horses seem even more worth it, especially when they are in high school and so many distractions are possible.

Jill Townsend
Wellington-WEF.com, LLC
SpotLightEquestrian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »

I emailed you for more information!
dolly

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 09:46:19 AM »

could you please email me moree about this show at frederickson1995@gmail.com  THANKS Cheesy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »

Where will the show be held?
AHSAJUDGE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »

I do have copies of the program(like an information booklet, entry, etc) available @ my horse show on February 21st in the secretaries office. Mark W
SpotLightEquestrian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »

Still waiting on information for this show...
JrJumperCHAMP

Rio's Dakota Sunrise <3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »

Hi I'm a college bound senior in high school and I definantly intend on continuing to ride competitively throughout school. Please send me more info on this show. Opie2bette@aol.com

<3 RIO'S DAKOTA SUNRISE <3
mfallshookup

prestley and me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »

I will try and get you all info since I am boarding one of my horses at Denna's barn.
Here is some info for now
http://collegeboundinvitationalhorseshow.com/
I went a few years ago so if you have any questions from a participants point of view feel free to pm me.
-Kristie
mfallshookup

prestley and me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »

Hey guys!
Denna just emailed me an attachment with the info- she pretty much heads it.
Post back with your email if you want me to forward it to you!
-Kristie
SpotLightEquestrian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »

Please email it to me!  Thank you!

SpotLightEques@aol.com
mouse2713

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »

I can send out all the paperwork and entry/info packets through the mail. If you need one and cannot find one at any of the shows, just email me with your mailing addy and I will forward one to you! We also have our summer camp brochures ready now, for all beginner, intermediate and advanced sessions, so you can email me at dennaj2713@aol.com for that info too.
JumperLuver

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »

i wish you had a show in the winter, i have always wanted to go and participate in one of your shows , but i leave for the whole summer...... i am out of the country, so it is too much a hassle to come back for 3 days...... i have heard from many friends and trainers that it is great...
barnrat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »

i got a packet but was wondering how you pick you classes cause i dont show much because of money but that seams to be how you get put into a class
mouse2713

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »

You are placed in a class by your show experience. This is actually a good thing if you ride well, because we do it by how you fit into a class for the coaches/college team that you would ride on. For instance, if you are a fabulous rider, but you fit into the walk-trot-canter level of the competition, the coaches will see you ride against the other riders that qualify at that level, and if you are the BEST, then they are more interested in giving you scholarship money to get you into their program. It is a GOOD thing to qualify for the lower levels and to ride BETTER than everyone else at that level!
barnrat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »

so if all i have shown is w/t 3 years ago would it b worth going even or would it b better to send up to date videos to colleges with me jumping  and riding 3'6" and all
mouse2713

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »

Ok, wow, if all you have shown in is the walk-trot division, but you are currently w-t-c and jumping courses, that makes you eligable for the IHSA walk-trot-canter division. This is a pretty big draw at least as far as those coaches are concerned. The NCAA coaches probably would not really consider you, whether you show in front of them or send videos unless you have some substantial show experience in the 3'6" divisions. Some of the NCAA schools, like South Dakota, Berry and a few of the others also show IHSA and recruit for those divisions, so you may get lucky. It would be worth it to show, and you should put together a video of no more than 10 minutes in length, that shows your two best trips over fences (on different horses), and flat work on two separate horses walking, trotting, cantering, and with some of the USEF tests. Make it brief and to the point, and show that you know how to ride different types of horses. Hope this helps and feel free to email me if you have other questions or if you need an entry/info packet. Even if you are not planning to attend, and have questions, then you should feel free to contact me by email: dennaj2713@aol.com  Hope you find the perfect school for you, and that you find the financial means to attend!
mouse2713

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »

If anyone would like more info on the show, or would like a packet, please let me know. You can email me at dennaj2713@aol.com or you can call my cell phone at: 352-328-5801. Just found out that we are going to have some amazing horses for the show this year. Cant wait to see you all there.
HorsePoor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »

I am so glad to hear that this wonderful program is being offered again this year; I cannot say enough good things about it!

My daughter attended a couple of years ago, and it was a truly life changing experience for her. The information she came away with proved to be invaluable.  The educational atmosphere along with the various interactive opportunities gave my daughter exactly the tools she needed to pursue her goal of attending the college of her choice and competing on their college team. We were very pleased to see the number of coaches in attendance, and in particular their involvement in the question and answer forum.

My daughter has signed a National Letter of Intent to join the equestrian team at her top choice school and will begin in August.   She could not be any happier.

Thank you again for offering the program, and I hope that you continue it for years to come.  The kids pinning their hopes and dreams on a website don't know what they don't know and what they are missing.

mouse2713

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, and sooo glad your daughter got her first choice school. Let us know how she does at her new school!

On another amazing and happy note, the Virginia Intermont dressage team won the national collegiate championship and all three girls were from the cbi show. Yeah, and go you! Glad you had such an amazingly successful year!!! Hope you repeat again next year.
wallstreetfarm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 12:23:49 PM »

This is a wonderful opportunity for grade school athletes.  WE have taken a big group up to the College Invitational for the last 4 years and the show has not only been a lot of fun the riders but, the vast amount of information and knowledge acquired about college riding, IHSA vs NCAA, scholorships, college's available, state vs. nonstate etc.  is always so helpful for the riders and their families who are considering riding through out college.

We will be taking a large group of riders including most of our IEA team to this years College Bound Invitational July 31-August 1, 2010 from S Florida for the weekend.  For those of you who are looking for some guidance we would be happy to assist you in the process including helping with the DVD (very important on what they look for), application, scholorship availability & essay's, the horse show format, etc.

Denna and Full Partners runs a very professional well run weekend of showing and we have fun too!!!!

Call Heidi @ 561/628-0973.

Wall Street Farm @ Wellington Show Stables
AFord

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 03:10:25 AM »

Hi, I'm just about to enter my Senior year of High School. I show as a Junior Hunter, and would love to continue riding while in college on a college equestrian team. The College Bound Invitational Horse Show sounds absolutely perfect. I was wondering the exact dates which it gets held, and if there was any extra information on it that would be great also. Thanks!!
Admin 1
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »

I think they hold that in the summer.  As a Senior you are late.  The coaches are bringing in recruits now for 2011 ... go to varsityequestrian.com to see the list of schools that participate and contact all that interest you. 

If you are a Junior in High School you need to start researching what schools you are interested in attending that have riding. Remember, first you have to love the college you will be attending, then will you want to ride for that coach, and finally they will want you as well?  You will need to put together some recruiting videos of yourself riding several different horses, both flat and fences, compose a resume and remember that in College you will be competing in Equitation, so make sure to do a few more Equitation classes to have on your resume.  

We have our 2nd Annual WEF Collegiate Challenge Dates set for 2011 ... 02/11/2011   Easy to remember ... there will be 16 riders from around the country, Varsity Equestrian teams competing.  We have a facebook page .. search "2011 WEF Collegiate Equitation Challenge" and you can follow it there.... great evening to see collegiate riding first hand.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:33:11 AM by Admin 1 » Logged

Jill Townsend
Wellington-WEF.com, LLC
athey58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »

Is anyone hosting the College Bound Invitational Horse Show in 2011? If so, could you please post information as to the dates and location? Thanks!

Izzy's Mom
grandprix84

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »

The organizer of last years event, Denna Johnson, has unfortunately passed away. I believe her mother Carol will be organizing this year's event. I would go to fullpartnersfarm dot net to try to get info
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: